Among the priority purposes of INQAAHE, the Constitution lists:
- to create, collect and disseminate information on current and developing theory and practice in the assessment, improvement and maintenance of quality in higher education, and;
- to undertake or commission research in areas relevant to quality in higher education.
These purposes are achieved through different means:
- Every two years, INQAAHE holds an international conference, where a significant number of papers are presented, providing participants with an updated and wide ranging view of the theory and practice of quality assurance around the world.
- The network also has a long standing association with the journal Quality in Higher Education, which is published four times a year and gathers a number of academic papers on its field. This journal is distributed free of charge to all network members.
- Another channel for promoting research is through commissioning papers on specific issues.
In the pursuance of the purposes, within the frames of the latter project, INQAAHE is allocating annually a small amount of money for supporting the preparation of research papers or essays.